Commander Chr. Christensen's Whaling Museum was founded in 1917 by the whaling ship owner Lars Christensen. He named the museum after his father and gave the museum and its exhibits and exhibitions as a gift to Sandefjord Borough.
The Whaling Museum today consists of the museum building itself along with the exhibitions, the museum ship «Southern Actor» and the museum’s collections, which are preserved at shared storage facilities, as well as a collection of litterature. The Whaling Museum is part of the Vestfold Museums.